$7.50 – serves 3
In the realm of “no-egg salad sandwiches”, this is a delectable veggie-packed alternative to my scrumptious tofu salad sandwich. But this concoction has a little extra kick with the curry powder. The chewiness of the tempeh, the crunch of the celery, the tangy lemon and creamy veganaise…..it’s irresistible and healthy. Tempeh is cited for its health benefits all over the web. If you’ve never had it, take a little time to look it up. Any flavor tempeh will work in this recipe. I usually put some sliced tomato in my sandwich before piling this on. And I keep some vinegar-y hot sauce on the side for a little excitement every few bites.
- 8 oz. (1 package) Tempeh
- 3-4 ribs celery, sliced thin (depends on how much crunch you want.)
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1-2 Tbs lemon juice, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 teaspoons vegetable broth powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 1/4 cup veganaise
- black pepper to taste
- for a fancy splash of color and flavor, throw in some chopped parsley at the end
1. Cube tempeh and steam for 15 minutes.
2. Prepare vegetables while the tempeh is cooking.
3. When tempeh is done, allow to cool slightly. Mash with a fork in a large bowl. Mix in the carrot, celery, and onions, and stir well.
4. Add the lemon juice, curry powder, stock powder, and celery seed. Mix well. Add vegan mayo, beginning with a couple tablespoons, and adding more if you want it to be creamier. Season with black pepper and your parsley, if using.
5. Let salad sit at least an hour before serving in your favorite sandwich bread. Pitas are highly recommended, and so is toasted rye.
This would be really good if served stuffed in some hollowed out and drained cherry tomatoes as appetizers!