Serves 3, Total Cost: $5.00
This is the most delicious quick rice I’ve ever had. The fragrance will make you swoon. The flavor is curry, but there’s no curry powder involved. It’s so cheap and simple you’ll whip it up quickly without a trip to the store. I modified this from the very cool and helpful site, Budget Bytes. I changed the amounts to make it taste better and added peas for more nutrition. I also think some fried tofu cubes would make a good addition. Raisins and cashews, too! Enjoy.
- 1 cup jasmine rice, dry
- 3 Tbs earth balance
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced in garlic press
- 2 big bay leaves
- 1.5 cups veggie broth
- Warm the earth balance, turmeric, garlic, cumin, and cinnamon in a pot over medium heat. Stir and heat until the earth balance has melted.
- Add dry rice to the pot. Stir and cook over medium heat for a few minutes to toast the rice and spices. This toasting stage is very important. Make sure the rice gets well-coated. Stir and toast until the fragrance fills your kitchen and the rice makes a slight popping sound.
- Add broth and bay leaves to the pot. Place a lid on top, increase the heat to high, and bring the pot to a rolling boil. As soon as it reaches the boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer with lid on for 15 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- After letting it simmer for 15 minutes, turn the heat off and let it rest for 10 minutes with lid in place.
- Fluff and serve.