Golden kiwis are the only kiwis I will eat. (Green ones are too tart for me, but they don’t seem to bother most people.) The tomato sandwich featured here is our new favorite quick meal. We’ve made them both in a pan and on the panini press with success. Be sure to grill the onions until soft before adding to sandwich for the final grill. The best bread to use is semolina bakery bread. (We get ours from the grocery store bakery.) Hiding in the background is a little helping of sauteed zucchini. (Sliced, gently pan fried with Earth Balance.)
- 2 thick slices sandwich bread
- vegan cream cheese (or another mild, spreadable vegan cheese)
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly, seeds removed
- sliced red onion, gently softened in pan prior to assembly
- black pepper, to taste
- generous sprinkle oregano
- generous sprinkle chives
- Earth Balance
- garlic and herb blend spice
- Spread inside parts of the bread with a layer of cream cheese.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes and onion over one cream cheese side, pausing often to sprinkle with black pepper, and oregano. Alternate the layers.
- Sprinkle the other cream-cheesed side of the bread with chives.
- Close sandwich and spread outside sides of bread with vegan margarine.
- Sprinkle buttered side with garlic herb seasoning.
- Grill like a grilled cheese sandwich.