Miniature rainbow carrots! I couldn’t resist them, as out of season as they were. I gently boiled them until their colors brightened up. The purple one turned a little brown, but was delicious. On the right is a non-dairy, tofu-based alfredo dish with mushrooms, peas and broccoli. You can make it with pasta, but we needed to get our 5-a-day in for dinner that night, so I couldn’t waste the space on noodles.
Alfredo Sauce Ingredients: (6 servings)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package soft tofu
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Have some pre-cooked favorite veggies ready to go, or pre-cooked pasta
1. Lightly brown garlic in oil. Let cool. In blender, combine tofu and cooled garlic/oil mixture and blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Add water to adjust consistency. Put tofu mixture in saucepan, add green onions and pre-cooked favorite veggies and heat on medium/low for 10 minutes.
3. Add basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Heat for another 3 minutes. Serve over your favorite pasta or just veggies.