Banana bread is a “quick bread” or “tea bread”, as some call it. I enjoy these breads because you just dump it all in and bake. My number one tip: don’t open the oven to peek! It angers the baking gods! This is my own recipe.
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-4 mashed, extremely overripe bananas
1/2 cup vegetable Oil
the equivalent of 2 or 3 Eggs*
1/3 cup “buttermilk”*
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
* I use Ener-G egg replacer, 5 tablespoon water + 3 1/2 teaspoon powder. If you don’t have that, use 3 1/2 teaspoons of corn starch.
* To make vegan buttermilk, combine 1 cup soymilk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. This can be used on a 1:1 ratio with buttermilk, so 1/3 cup of this = 1/3 cup buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix flour, vegan sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix bananas, oil, honey, vanilla, spices and “buttermilk” in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine the banana mixture with the large bowl containing dry ingredients, and stir well. Add the egg replacer in now, and stir well again. Don’t overstir.
- Pour into a greased 9×5 inch bread pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.