I have tried so many vegan french toast recipes, and still haven’t found The One. This one was pretty good, though. The dark hue is from the apple butter. I added strawberries because I didn’t have any apples for topping.
Our lack of success in the french toast area is what makes me want to go out, purchase some brioche and eggs, and throw veganism out the window, but I will keep trying. This recipe is from Vegetarian Times.
- 4 large tart, firm apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups plain or vanilla soymilk
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 slices soft-crust French bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- To make Topping: Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté apples 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Reduce heat to medium. Add sugar and cinnamon, and cook 5 to 10 minutes more, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice, and remove from heat.
- To make French Toast: Blend soymilk, apple butter, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in blender until smooth. Pour into shallow bowl.
- Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Dip bread slices into batter, coating evenly. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Place 2 slices bread on each plate, and divide topping among servings.