Vegan cheesecake is one of the EASIEST vegan desserts to make. It sounds daunting, but remember that anything done with dairy cream cheese can be done with soy cream cheese. This cake comes out with the same texture and flavor of regular egg/dairy cheesecake. (Maybe not quite as fluffy, but very, very close.) An addition of vanilla pudding mix can help firm the cake up more and give it more vanilla flavor. We topped ours with cherries. Yum…
- 16 ginger snaps, crumbled
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon light Karo syrup or brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg substitutes (I use Ener-g, but you can us 2 tbs corn starch dissolved in warm water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Optional: one packet of vegan vanilla pudding mix
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For crust: Combine ginger snaps, margarine, Karo syrup, and flour in a bowl. Mix by hand and press firmly into a round pan. If using karo syrup, it will hold together enough for you to press the crust into the bottom and the sides. Other syrups may only allow for a bottom crust.
2. For filling: Combine cream cheese, sugar, egg substitutes, vanilla, (pudding mix, if using,) and lemon juice in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Pour onto crust.
3. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set (doesn’t jiggle when you move the pan). Let cool. Place in refrigerator and chill until firm.