Non-vegans: check out the original recipe here.
OK, there’s a little bit of cooking involved, but only to steam the asparagus and garlic. (Sorry. The next posts will be totally non-cook, I promise.) But you could leave the asparagus and garlic raw if you like…the garlic won’t be as mellow. And I know some people hate raw asparagus, but really it’s not bad at all.
- 1/2 lb asparagus spears, woody stems removed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- a dozen grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup block vegan cheese, diced (I like follow your heart cheddar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sauce from a can of chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder(this is for EXTRA spice! Beware!)
- 1-2 tbs veganaise
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and added the garlic cloves and asparagus to steam. Steam covered for 2 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the asparagus, chickpeas, tomatoes, and “cheese”.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, chili powder, sauce, veganaise and garlic cloves (minced) in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Shake to combine the mixture and pour the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat.