This is one of our favorite dishes. We love it so much that we served it at our rehearsal dinner. This could be a side dish, but it is FAR better as a pita stuffing or in a wrap with a little sauteed spinach or some other leafy green. It is very filling, full of protein and the dressing covers all the taste sensations: umami, salty, sweet, spicy, etc. The avocado gives it a buttery flavor and the crisp green pepper and red onion add crunch.
- 2 cans black–eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely minced (2 Tbs.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 avocado, cubed (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. vegan Szechuan sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
1. Combine black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic in large bowl. Toss avocado cubes with lemon juice in a separate bowl. Once coated with lemon juice, add avocado to black-eyed pea mixture and toss.
2. Whisk together oil, vinegar, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in same bowl used for avocado/lemon. Add this dressing to black-eyed pea mixture, and toss to mix. Let it sit for a little while at room temperature so the flavors will meld.