$5.00, Feeds 4
I modeled this after a pasta salad side dish that was served at our wedding. I created the dressing by remembering the flavors, then I added my favorite veg. This was cheap for me to make because all I had to buy was the pasta, pepper and basil. Everything else was already in the kitchen.
Crucial tip: When making this pasta salad, or any other pasta salad, don’t let the pasta go cold. Get the dressing and veggies ready while pasta boils. Once pasta is done boiling, drain it, then toss all the ingredients and dressing with the hot pasta. This develops the flavors.
Ingredients: (for 4 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups rotini
- bell pepper – any color, sliced thinly
- a handful of grape tomatos
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced into coins
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced and diced
- a handful of basil, torn into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
For the Dressing:
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 superfine sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, lightly salted water until just tender
- Prepare dressing by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl, set aside
- Prepare rest of ingredients and vegetables, add to a large bowl
- When pasta is done, drain, then quickly pour hot pasta into bowl with rest of ingredients
- Pour on the dressing
- Toss like there’s no tomorrow! (Until everything is well coated)
- Once everything is well-mixed, wait until the dish cools, then eat!
Additional tips: I was out of garlic when I made this once, and discovered this dish is still great without. Also for a nice addition, toss in half-moon slices of zucchini- cooked with a little salt until crisp-tender.