Cost: $4.00, serves 6.
Modified from Budget Bytes, this is a flavorful and cheap bean salad that works as a side dish to last the week! (Or as a one-time potluck contribution.) One important rule of frugal-yet-delicious food is that limes, jalapenos and beans are cheap, so use them liberally.
1. Toss together in a big bowl:
- 2 cans garbanzos or about 3 cups of prepared dry garbanzos
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 de-seeded and de-veined jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped well
2. Whisk thoroughly in a small bowl:
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 scant tsp cumin
- sriracha to taste
- 1/4 salt
- 1 tsp agave nectar or sugar
3. Combine dressing with beans and onion mixture in big bowl, toss well, refrigerate or let sit for at least 30 minutes, then serve.
This bean salad keeps really well, so we were able to have it as a side dish Monday through Friday. Just store in an air tight container.