I was more than inspired by Things My Belly Likes to make Cat’s mom’s Lemon Drizzle Cake some time ago, but I didn’t have chia seeds until recently. Once I had them in hand, I went about vegan-izing and gluten-izing the recipe, though you can always use coconut flour to go non-gluten, as Cat does.
The batter seemed too flat and small in the cake pan, so I greased up a mini muffin pan and made almost-bite sized tea snacks.
If you don’t have chia seeds, use poppy seeds and add one more flax egg. The chia seeds help solidify the batter.
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs ground flax in 1 tbs water, whisked)
- 3 organic lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 Tbs plain soy yogurt
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup melted earth balance
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Whisk together the flax eggs, earth balance, soy yogurt and agave
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, saving 1 Tbs. Mix that Tbs with the tsp of sugar and set aside for the glaze.
- Place flour in large bowl.
- Pour the earth balance mixture into the flour, stirring until batter develops.
- Fold in the chia seeds and pour the batter into greased mini-muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and make small X’s n top of cakes. Pour the lemon juice and sugar mix into the X’s and all over the tops. Done!
Let cool before removing and enjoy!