Vegan quiche IS possible! And you don’t need any special, expensive ingredients.
14 ounces of tofu goes a long way…this made 2 quiches!
Made 2 pies – serves 8-10 – $10.00!
Feel free to make your own crust for this, but I used a reasonably-priced package of two 9-inch (not deep dish) pastry shells. You might be able to get away with one quiche if you use a single deep-dish pie crust, but I can’t vouch for the cooking time on that.
- Two 9 inch pie crusts, normal depth (not deep dish)
- 1 lb. broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 lb. cauliflower, chopped
- 3 small red peppers, diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for brushing the pie crust
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 ounces of firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce (I used sriracha)
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1.5 tsp vegan broth powder
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- dash or two of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly brown your pre-made pie crusts, if using, about 10 minutes in the oven, then lightly coat with olive oil when cooled.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic until golden. Stir in broccoli, cauliflower and red peppers. Sauté until cooked. (You can par-boil the brocc and cauli to save time!)
- In a food processor, combine tofu, milk, mustard, hot sauce, salt, broth powder, nutmeg, turmeric, red pepper flakes, black pepper, parsley, nutritional yeast and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine tofu mix with broccoli mixture.
- Pour mixture into the 2 pie crusts and bake both at 350° F for 35-40 min