We went on a spontaneous trip on Thanksgiving weekend, so our TG-style dinner was a few days after the fact.
The pie you see on our plates is my own cranberry-cherry pie with a solid top crust instead of a lattice.
The cheap, lazy person’s vegan turkey! Tasty ball of goodness.
Very simple chestnut stuffing recipe! Serves an army.
Even easier is this raw cranberry-orange relish, serves 8-10.
The items for this entire dinner ran us about $40 but made gobs of leftovers. A little steep, but it saves us from going to the store and preparing fresh lunch and dinner for a few days, so it’s worth it.
Easy RAW Cranberry-Orange Relish (only 3 ingredients)
Take one bag of fresh cranberries, wash them and dry them off well, then toss them in your food processor. Into the food processor add 1 cup of vegan granulated sugar and one quartered orange, peel and all. Use a valencia orange if you can, navels work well, but make sure its a sweet, juicy one. Then grind everything up in the food processor until uniformly pureed and voila! You won’t taste the orange peel.
Savory Chestnut Stuffing
- 2 handfuls of chestnuts, roasted, peeled and cut up into small bits
- 1 small bag of stuffing mix, cornbread style or regular
- 1/4 tub of earth balance
- 1 can or 1/2 box of veggie broth
- 3 stalks of celery, diced very small
- 1/2 large onion, diced very small
- 4 slices of your favorite bread, lightly toasted and cubed
- poultry seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a big frying pan, saute onion and celery with a bit of oil/butter, till almost softened
- Melt in veggie butter, and dust the thing with one even layer of poultry seasoning
- Turn off the burner
- Add bag of cornbread stuffing and the cubed bread
- Mix it all together to coat with earth balance
- A bit at a time, add and mix the veg broth. It takes a little time for the cornbread to absorb it, so add some then stir a bit to see how it’s going. Since the baking process is gonna keep all the moisture in, this is where you decide what consistency you want the final stuffing to be, (on the drier side or on the moister side.)
- Press it in a covered baking dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350. You can cover an open dish with foil if you have no lid.