Cheap Tip: get the ingredients at your nearest Asian marketplace. Other stores will rob you for the same stuff.
It was ridiculously bright in the kitchen for once, so this photo turned out pretty crazy.
Glorious sesame-flavored noodles! Very cheap, simple and tasty. Feel free to add toasted sesame seeds and any prepared, green vegetable that you like such as broccoli or snap peas, to round it out. I discovered the basis of this recipe through random web browsing, but I tinkered with it and avoided the nasty, average soy sauce.
Note about the soy sauce: Black soy sauce is essential for this. If you only have access to the grocery store-Tamari or Kikkoman-style soy sauce, you will need to add 2 Tbs brown sugar to it to fake it. Whisk it well, then add to recipe as directed.
But seriously, if you ever want to make delicious Asian food, you need a big bottle of black soy sauce-the kind with the dragonfly. It looks like this. There is one that looks similar to it with a blue label, but that is for desserts. Get the red-pinkish label for this recipe. It’s widely available at any Asian food market. I’ve never seen it in regular stores, but it’s worth the trip. MAke sure the BACK label says “BLACK” soy sauce.
Once you buy this, you will open the magical door to Asian food that has only existed in your wildest dreams. Get a few cookbooks, and you’ll see.
Makes 3 big helpings:
- Squares of raw extra-firm Tofu, as many as you want
- 12 ounces Udon noodles
- 1/4 cup Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Pure Sesame Oil (toasted sesame oil is ok too, if it’s your only option.)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 4 Tablespoons Safflower or Canola Oil
- 4 scallions, sliced
- If you desire tofu squares in this, pan fry them first till nice and golden with a little sesame oil
- Boil noodles according to package, drain and keep hot
- Whisk remaining ingredients together in a bowl- this is your delicious sauce. Add some salt if you feel it suits your tastes.
- Pour sauce over hot noodles and toss well to coat
- Sprinkle with green onions and toss a little more
- If you used tofu and cooked veg, add them now and toss.
- Let it rest for a few minutes while you pour some wine. Enjoy!