Pre-shredded Follow Your Heart cheese on top
A simple, inexpensive soup you can serve with grilled (vegan gourmet) cheese. Red peppers and tomatoes are available year-round, and who wants to make soup in the summer time anyway? Eat up.
Tip: leave yourself enough time to let the vegetables cool so your blender doesn’t turn into Mt.Vesuvius and explode molten lava all over you and your kitchen.
- 7-8 small, sweet tomatoes, such as campari or cocktail – cut in half
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 medium yellow onion, (or one large leek) cut roughly
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lots of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Drizzle olive oil on 2 baking sheets. Place tomatoes, skin side down, on one of them. Arrange half the thyme springs between the tomatos.
- Place onions and red peppers on the other baking sheet, with the red peppers skin side down. Place the unpeeled garlic on the sheet, too. Drizzle a little more olive oil over everything. Arrange rest of the thyme sprigs so they touch the veggies.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Keep an eye to make sure the herbs don’t smolder. You can remove them if they do.
- Let the veggies cool completely. Remove herb sprigs, leaving a few leaves, if you like.
- Peel your cooled garlic and toss it in a blender. Add half the broth, add roasted vegetables and purée the soup with a few thyme leaves.
- Add more broth if you’d like the soup to be thinner.
- Pour soup into a big pot, heat on the stove until hot, then serve!