One of the best vegan pizza recipes on the planet. Coincidentally, the original, untweaked recipe came from the cookbook “Vegan Planet”. How apropos. The scent of the baking pesto and tomato intoxicates you, and you’ll never miss the cheese as you bite into this mouth-watering dish. Make your own crust or grab a pre-made fresh pizza dough from the store for a faster process. Top with soy cheese shreds if you wish, but it’s not necessary. The pesto and tomato mixture on its own is delicious, and meant to be the only topping.
Serves: Depends on the size of your crust. Most store bought fresh doughs make 8 small pieces. This recipe is for your average sized pizza pan.
- 1 recipe of your favorite homemade pizza dough ( or fresh pizza dough from the store.) Raised and rolled out to a 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 Tbs Olive Oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted pine nuts (toasted is a nice touch for deeper flavor, if you have time)
- 1/2 tsp salt (plus more more adding to taste in later stage.)
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 5 ripe Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- salt and fresh pepper
- optional: a generous amount of your favorite soy cheese. (We love Follow Your Heart mozzarella shreds.)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Put garlic, pine nuts, 1/2 tsp salt, and basil in food processor and grind until fine
3. Leave processor running and add 1/4 cup olive oil through the feed tube until thoroughly mixed. Get in there with a big spoon and manually stir it so its well combined, then spoon into a big bowl.
4. Place your rolled dough onto a lightly oiled pizza pan, poke holes throughout the dough with a fork.
5. Bake dough for 10 minutes
6. Combine diced tomato with pesto mixture in in your big bowl. Toss gently to combine, then add salt and pepper to taste and mix well. (Do not fail to add more salt at this step, it definitely needs a little extra-1/2 tsp at most.) As you taste, try not to eat it all.
7. Remove dough from oven, spread tomato/pesto mixture evenly onto dough, leaving a 1/2 inch of the edge bare.
8. Return to oven for 15 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden
9. If you’re using soy cheese shreds, take pizza out and sprinkle those on and bake once again until cheese is melted. (About 5 minutes.) Allow to cool slightly before serving.
10. If not using cheese shreds, at step #8, bake until crust is fully golden brown.
11. The final step is to drizzle the last 2 Tbs of olive oil on top of the pizza before serving.
Prepare to gluttonize.