This is a deliciously moist apple and spice cake with a vegan cream cheese glaze that most anyone would love.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- egg replacer to equal 2 eggs
- 2 cups chunky applesauce
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and honey until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Beat in applesauce.
- Generously coat a nonstick 9-inch tube pan with cooking spray. Spoon batter into pan; smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (but slightly wet), 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Turn out of pan onto a cutting board or baking sheet; invert cake onto rack, top side up. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.